Place:


Broadhempston  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Broadhempston like this:

BROADHEMPSTON, a village and a parish in Newton-Abbot district, Devon. The village stands 2 miles from the Dart river, 2 from the South Devon railway, and 4 N of Totnes; and has a post office under Totnes. The parish comprises 2,047 acres. Real property, £4,148. Pop., 661. Houses, 155. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belonged formerly to the Cantelupes; and belongs now to E. Palk, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £311.* Patron, the Crown. The church consists of nave, chancel, and aisles; and has an ancient oak screen. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans.

Broadhempston through time

Broadhempston is now part of Teignbridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Teignbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Broadhempston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broadhempston, in Teignbridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1759

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Broadhempston ".