Place:


Millport  Buteshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Millport like this:

Millport, watering-place, in S. of Great Cumbrae island, Cumbrae par., Buteshire, on Millport Bay, Firth of Clyde, 11 miles SW. of Wemyss Bay ry. sta. and 24 miles SW. of Greenock - police burgh, pop. 1738; vil., pop. 1749; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank; is well sheltered and has a good beach; has a pier for the Clyde steamers by which communication is maintained regularly with other places on the Clyde; contains an Episcopal cathedral and college, founded and endowed by the Earl of Glasgow, whose seat (The Garrison) is adjacent. Millport was made a police burgh in 1864.

Millport through time

Millport is now part of North Ayrshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Ayrshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Millport itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Millport, in North Ayrshire and Buteshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17419

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Millport ".