Place:


Fort William  Inverness Shire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Fort William like this:

Fort William, small town (police burgh), on E. side of Loch Linnhe, and at foot of Ben Nevis, in co. and 65½ m. SW. of Inverness -- town, pop. 1594; police burgh, pop. 1565; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks. Fort William was originally called Gordonsburgh, and then Maryburgh. It is a centre for tourists, and a starting-point for the ascent of Ben Nevis. The fort, erected by General Monk, and rebuilt by General Mackay (1689), is now occupied as private dwelling-houses.

Fort William through time

Fort William is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fort William itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fort William, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17415

Date accessed: 17th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fort William ".