Place:


Findochty  Banffshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Findochty like this:

Findochty, a fishing-village in Rathven parish, Banffshire, 3½ miles W by N of Cullen. Founded in 1716 by a colony of fishermen from Fraserburgh, it has an infant public school, 141 boats, and 300 men and boys engaged in fishing. Its sheltered harbour, with 24 feet depth of water, and 270 feet of width at the entrance, w as greatly improved by the Fishery Commissioners in 188283. Near it is a medicinal spring situated within high water mark. Pop. (1861) 393, (1871) 812, (l881) 936.—Ord. Sur., sh. 96, 1876.

Findochty through time

Findochty is now part of Moray district. Click here for graphs and data of how Moray has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Findochty itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Findochty, in Moray and Banffshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17402

Date accessed: 20th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Findochty ".