Place:


Ladybank  Fife

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Ladybank like this:

Ladybank, a small police burgh in Collessie parish, Fife, with a junction on the Edinburgh, Perth, and Dundee section of the North British railway, 18¾ miles SE of Perth, 5½ SW of Cupar, and 28¼ N by E of Edinburgh. Of modern growth, it has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and railway telegraph departments, a branch of the Union Bank, 5 insurance agencies, 2 hotels, a public hall, a locomotive depôt, malting and linen industries, and an abundant water-supply (1876) from artesian wells. ...


An Established quoad sacra parish church, with 400 sittings, was created in 1881-82 at a cost of £2050, and a Free church, also with 400 sittings, in 1875-76, at a cost of £2140; whilst the public school-originally Madras-was enlarged in 1875. The municipal voters numbered 225 in 1883, when the annual value of real property amounted to £3010. Pop. (1861) 376, (1871) 772, (1881) 1072. Houses (1881) 202 inhabited, 8 vacant, 1 building.—Ord. Sur., sh. 40, 1867.

Ladybank through time

Ladybank is now part of Fife district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fife has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ladybank itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ladybank in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17386

Date accessed: 23rd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ladybank ".