Place:


Portknockie  Banffshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Portknockie like this:

Portknockie, a fishing village in Rathven quoad civilia parish, but in Cullen quoad sacra parish, Banffshire, on the coast, adjacent to Scar Nose, 1¾ mile NW of Cullen town, and 4½ miles NE of Buckie. Founded in 1677, it carries on fishing in 99 large boats and 42 smaller ones; and has a police station, a chapel of ease, a Free church, and a public school. ...


Seafield chapel of ease, which was built by subscription about the year 1840, and which contains 450 sittings, in 1884 had a district assigned to it as a quoad sacra parochial church. Pop. (1793) 243, (1837) 750, (1861) 1159, (1871) 1235, (1881) 1102.—Ord. Sur., sh. 96, 1876.

Portknockie through time

Portknockie is now part of Moray district. Click here for graphs and data of how Moray has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Portknockie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Portknockie, in Moray and Banffshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17382

Date accessed: 20th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Portknockie ".