Place:


Abernyte  Perthshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Abernyte like this:

Abernyte, a hamlet and a parish near the E border of Perthshire. The hamlet stands in a beautiful glen, by the confluence of two rivulets, one of them anciently called the Nyte: and is 2¼ miles NW of its post-village Inchture, 4 miles NNW of Inchture station, and 11½ miles ENE of Perth.

The parish is bounded N and NE by Longforgan, SE by Inchture, SW by Kinnaird, W by Collace, and NW by Cargill. ...


Of irregular shape, it has an extreme length from E to W of 33/8 miles, a width from N to S of 1¾ mile, and an area of 2533 acres, of which 1¼ are water. The surface has a general north-westward rise from the Carse of Gowrie to the Sidlaw Hills, the Braes of the Carse in the centre of the parish having elevations of 632 and 832 feet above sea-level, while to the W are the slopes of Blacklaw (969 feet), Dunsinane Hill (1012), Black Hill (1182), and King's Seat (1235), whose summits, however, lie just outside the bounds. The glen, shut in upon three sides by bold but cultivated ascents, opens south-eastward to the Carse: and its united rivulets form in the low grounds at the head of a deep-wooded ravine a romantic waterfall with 40 feet of almost sheer descent. The rocks are chiefly sandstone and amygdaloid, containing agates: and the soil on these lower grounds is light but fertile, mostly incumbent on gravel, whilst that of the uplands is of poorer quality, and in some places heathy. Two cairns crowned Glenny Law, on which and on Stockmuir there also stood two small stone-circles of 7 and 9 stones each. Abernyte House is the principal residence, and 7 landowners hold each an annual value of upwards of £50. In the presbytery of Dundee and synod of Angus and Mearns, the parish contains an Established church (rebuilt 1736: living, £219), and a Free church for Abernyte and Rait, these churches standing ½ mile E, and 5 furlongs ESE, of the hamlet. A public school, with accommodation for 93 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 54, and a grant of £41, 11s. Valuation (1881) £3011, 9s. Pop. (1831) 254, (1861) 310, (1871) 253, (1881) 275.—Ord. Sur., sh. 48,1868.

Abernyte through time

Abernyte is now part of Perth and Kinross district. Click here for graphs and data of how Perth and Kinross has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Abernyte itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Abernyte, in Perth and Kinross and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17144

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Abernyte ".