Place:


Leslie  Aberdeenshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Leslie like this:

Leslie, a hamlet and a parish of central Aberdeenshire. The hamlet stands, 546 feet above sea-level, on the S bank of Gadie Burn, 4 miles SSW of Insch, under which it has a post office.

The parish is bounded N by Kennethmont, NE by Insch, E by Premnay, S by Keig and Tullynessle-Forbes, and W and NW by Clatt. ...


Its utmost length, from E to W, is 3 miles; its utmost breadth, from N to S, is 2 7/8ii miles; and its area is 4446 ¼ acres, of which 2½ are water. Gadie Burn, famous in song, runs 2½ miles eastward across the middle of the parish, then 9 furlongs along the Premnay border; and in the extreme E the surface declines to 524 feet above sea-level, thence rising to 800 feet at Gallow Hill, 800 at the Hill of Newleslie, 1181 at Salters Hill, 1355 at Knock Saul, and 1362 at Suie Hill, the last three of which rise close to or on the southern boundary. The rocks include serpentine, felspar, quartz, etc.; and the soil of the northern division is a light yellowish loam with a gravelly subsoil and a rocky bottom, of the southern division is a rich loam overlying clay, but moorish and heathy on the higher hills. Less than half of the entire area is in tillage; wood covers but a small proportion; and the rest is either pastoral or waste. Leslie Castle, or the old House of Leslie, on the Gadie's N bank, opposite the hamlet, is now a ruin. It was founded in 1661 by William Forbes of Monymusk, whose father had acquired the barony through marriage with the widow of the last of the Leslies, its possessors since the 12th century. Of a stone circle and a pre-Reformation chapel the sites only remain. The property is divided between two. Leslie is in the presbytery of Garioch and synod of Aberdeen; the living is worth £219. The parish church, at the hamlet, was built in 1815, and contains nearly 300 sittings. Duncanstone Congregational church (1818) stands 2½ miles NNW; and Leslie and Premnay Free church, ¾ mile E by N, just within Premnay parish. The public school, with accommodation for 98 children, had (1882) an average attendance of 62, and a grant of £50, 13s. Valuation (1860) £2693, (1882) £3279, 11s. 10d. Pop. (1801) 367, (1831) 473, (1861) 577, (1871) 532, (1881) 523.—Ord. Sur., sh. 76, 1874.

Leslie through time

Leslie is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leslie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leslie in Aberdeenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17112

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leslie ".