Place:


Stornoway  Ross and Cromarty

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Stornoway like this:

Stornoway, seaport, police burgh, and par., Lewin island, Outer Hebrides, Ross-shire, on Stornoway Harbour, 51 miles NW. of Ullapool and 180 miles from Oban - par., 67,652 ac., pop. 10,389; police burgh, pop. 2627; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks; is.a head port, and has a good harbour. Stornoway is also the centre of the greatest of the Scottish fishery districts, comprising the whole of the Outer Hebrides. ...


Fish is largely exported, chiefly to Baltic ports. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) Steamers ply regularly to and from Ullapool, Glasgow, and Liverpool. Stornoway was made a burgh of barony by James VI. Stornoway Lighthouse, on Arnish Point, is 45 ft. high, with revolving light 56 ft. above high water and seen 13 miles.

Stornoway through time

Stornoway is now part of Eilean Siar district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eilean Siar has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stornoway itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stornoway, in Eilean Siar and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17083

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stornoway ".