Kinross  Kinross Shire


In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Kinross like this:

Kinross, market town, par., and cap. of Kinross-shire, on W. side of Loch Leven, 15 miles N. of Dunfermline amd 424 miles NW. of London by rail--par., 7275 ac., pop. 2492; town, pop. 1960; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Monday. Kinross is an ancient place, and was a favourite residence of Alexander III. ...

It is situated at the junction of three lines of railway, and on the direct road from Edinburgh to Perth. Its industries comprise wool-spinning mills and a linen factory. On the peninsula between the town and Loch Leven is Kinross House (1685), built after designs by Sir William Bruce, the architect of Holyrood, who was a native of Kinross. Adjacent are the sites of the old residence of the Earls of Morton and of the original parish church of Kinross.

Kinross through time

Kinross is now part of Perth and Kinross district. Click here for graphs and data of how Perth and Kinross has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kinross itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kinross, in Perth and Kinross and Kinross Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 19th March 2018

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kinross ".