Place:


Lessingham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lessingham like this:

LESSINGHAM, a village and a parish in Tunstead district, Norfolk. The village stands near the coast, 7 miles ESE of North Walsham, and 14 NNE of Brundall r. station; and has a post office under Norwich.—The parish comprises 639 acres. Real property, £1,297. Pop., 175. Houses, 50. The property is divided among a few; and the greater part belongs to N. ...


Cubitt, Esq. An alien priory, under Ogbourne in Wilts, and attached to the abbey of Bec in Normandy, was founded here in the time of William Rufus; underwent change of proprietorship in the time of Henry VI.; and was given, at the general dissolution, to King's college, Cambridge. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Hempstead, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is ancient, and has a painted rood-screen. There are a national school, and charities £5.

Lessingham through time

Lessingham is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lessingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lessingham in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1703

Date accessed: 23rd September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lessingham ".