Place:


Crail  Fife

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Crail like this:

Crail parl. and royal burgh, seaport, and par. with ry. sta., E. Fifeshire, at mouth of Firth of Forth, 10 miles S.E. of St Andrews and 43 miles NE. of Edinburgh -- par., 6383 ac., pop. 1740; parl. burgh, pop. 1148; royal burgh, pop. 1145; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank; is extensively engaged in the herring fishery. ...


On top of cliff are two towers, with white and red fixed lights seen 6 miles. C. was in former times of considerable importance. There are remains of a priory college and ruins of an old castle, once a royal residence. The burgh unites with St Andrews, Pittenweem, Cupar, E. and W. Anstruther, and Kilrenny, in returning 1 member to Parliament.

Crail through time

Crail is now part of Fife district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fife has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Crail itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Crail in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17024

Date accessed: 24th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Crail ".