Place:


Banff  Banffshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Banff like this:

Banff, par., parl. and royal bor., market town, seaport, and capital of Banffshire, at month of Deveron river, on Moray Firth, 65 miles NW. of Aberdeen by rail and 586 miles from London -- par., 6073 ac., pop. 5218; parl. bor., pop. 7844; royal bor., pop. 4203; 5 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Friday. ...


A bridge of 7 arches connects it with the town of Macduff. Banff is the head of the fishery dist. between Buckie and Fraserburgh, and cured herrings and other fish are largely exported. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) There are 2 woollen mills, a chemical manure, and a rope and sail factory; a brewery, a distillery, a tannery, &c. It was the birthplace of Archbishop Sharp (1618-1679). The burgh unites with Cullen, Elgin, Inverurie, Kintore, and Peterhead in returning 1 member to Parliament.

Banff through time

Banff is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Banff itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Banff, in Aberdeenshire and Banffshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17004

Date accessed: 25th September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Banff ".