Place:


Moffat  Dumfries Shire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Moffat like this:

Moffat, watering-place, Dumfriesshire, and par., partly also in Lanarkshire, on river Annan, 2 miles NE. of Beattock junction, 64 miles SW. of Edinburgh, 66½ miles SE. of Glasgow, and 332 miles NW. of London by rail - par., 42,972 ac., pop. 2930; town, pop. 2161; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 1 newspaper. ...


Market-day, Friday. Situated near the head of Annandale, on a gentle slope rising from 340 to 400 ft. above sea-level, the town is well sheltered on the N. and E. by lofty ridges of hills. Moffat first became conspicuous as a watering-place in the latter half of the 18th century, and is now frequented by a great number of visitors in summer. Moffat Well is 1¼ mile to the NE.; the water, which is strongly impregnated with sulphur and various salts, is brought by pipes to the public baths in the town. There is a large hydropathic establishment in the vicinity. Moffat became a police burgh in 1864.

Moffat through time

Moffat is now part of Dumfries and Galloway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dumfries and Galloway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Moffat itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Moffat, in Dumfries and Galloway and Dumfries Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16970

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Moffat ".