Place:


Cathcart  Renfrewshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Cathcart like this:

Cathcart, par., partly in Lanarkshire, but chiefly in Renfrewshire, 3 miles S. of Glasgow, 4064 ac., pop. 12,221; P.O.; contains the vils. of Old Cathcart, pop. 1003; P.O.; and New Cathcart, pop. 689; in vicinity of Old Cathcart are the ruins of Cathcart Castle, near which was fought the battle of Langside, 1568; adjacent is Cathcart House, seat of Earl of Cathcart.

Cathcart through time

Cathcart is now part of Glasgow district. Click here for graphs and data of how Glasgow has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cathcart itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cathcart, in Glasgow and Renfrewshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16932

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cathcart ".