Place:


Burntisland  Fife

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Burntisland like this:

Burntisland, par., parl. and royal burgh, seaport, and watering-place, S. coast of Fifeshire, on Firth of Forth, opposite Granton, and 8 miles N. of Edinburgh -- par., 2565 ac., pop. 4821; parl. burgh, pop. 4099; royal burgh, pop. 3197; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. It is connected by a steamboat ferry with Granton, has an excellent harb., and important trade in shipping of coal and iron; has also a distillery, and large oil-works. ...


On an eminence overlooking the harb. is the old castle (now modernised) of Rossend, and to the E. of the town is a small area of golfing links. The burgh unites with Kinghorn, Dysart, and Kirkcaldy in sending 1 member to Parliament.

Burntisland through time

Burntisland is now part of Fife district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fife has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burntisland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burntisland in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16926

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burntisland ".