Place:


Dornoch  Sutherland

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Dornoch like this:

Dornoch, cap. of co., parl. and royal burgh, seaport, and par., SE. Sutherlandshire, on Dornoch Firth, 8¾ m. NE. of Tain by Meikle Ferry, 14½ E. of Bonar Bridge ry. sta., and 80½ NE. of Inverness -- par., 30,189 ac., pop. 2525; parl. and royal burgh, pop. 497; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank; was formerly the residence of the bishops of Sutherland and Caithness. ...


The cathedral (built, 1222-45; rebuilt, 1835-37) is now used as the parish church. D. has a splendid beach for bathing, and an excellent golfing ground; it attracts many summer visitors. The burgh unites with Wick, Cromarty, Dingwall, Kirkwall, and Tain in returning 1 member to Parliament.

Dornoch through time

Dornoch is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dornoch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dornoch, in Highland and Sutherland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16886

Date accessed: 19th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dornoch ".