Place:


Dingwall  Ross and Cromarty

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Dingwall like this:

Dingwall.-- cap. of co., parl. and royal burgh, and par., with ry. sta., Ross-shire, at SW. corner of Cromarty Firth, 18½ miles NW. of Inverness, 210 NW. of Edinburgh, and 600 NW. of London -- par., 6644 ac., pop. 2220; parl. and royal burgh, pop. 1921; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 1 newspaper. ...


Market-day, Saturday; is an ancient town, of Norse origin. It has a curious old town-house, and a few remains of the ancient mansionhouse of the powerful family of Ross. D. is approachable by vessels of 9 ft. draught, and has some exports of wool and cattle, but its chief trade is local. It is an important ry. junc., from whence the Ross and Skye and the Sutherland and Caithness lines diverge. Dingwall unites with Wick, Cromarty, Kirkwall, Dornoch, and Tain in returning 1 member to Parliament.

Dingwall through time

Dingwall is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dingwall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dingwall, in Highland and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16883

Date accessed: 20th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dingwall ".