Place:


Denny  Stirlingshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Denny like this:

Denny, town and par. with ry. sta., in co. and 7 miles S. of Stirling, 32 NW. of Edinburgh, 25 NE. of Glasgow, and 404 NW. of London -- par., 8309 ac., pop. 5728; town (including Dunipace), pop. 4080; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks; is connected with Dunipace by a bridge over the Carron. Denny and Dunipace were formed into a police burgh in 1876, Coal and ironstone are mined, and in the town of Denny are ironworks, engine-works, and chemical works; 1 mile from ry. sta. is Denny Paper Mill.

Denny through time

Denny is now part of Falkirk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Falkirk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Denny itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Denny, in Falkirk and Stirlingshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16882

Date accessed: 13th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Denny ".