Place:


Rushford  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rushford like this:

RUSHFORD, a parish, with Shadwell hamlet, in Thetford district, Norfolk and Suffolk; on the Little Ouse river, 4 miles E S E of Thetford r. station. Post-town, Thetford. Acres, with Snarehill extra-parochial tract, 4, 250. Real property, £1, 380. Pop., 170. Houses, 35. Shadwell Court is the seat of Sir R. ...


J. Buxton, Bart. A spring, called St. Chad's well, once a great resort of pilgrims, is near the mansion. A college for amaster and six priests was founded here, about 1342, by Sir E. Gonville; and was given to the Howards. The living is a donative, exempt from visitation. Value, £100. Patron, Sir R. J. Buxton, Bart. The church wasthat of the college; and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower.

Rushford through time

Rushford is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rushford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rushford, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1687

Date accessed: 26th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rushford ".