Place:


Dunkeld  Perthshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Dunkeld like this:

Dunkeld, market town with ry. sta., on river Tay, in co. and 15¾ miles NW. of Perth, 61 NW. of Edinburgh, and 453 NW. of London, pop. 768; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. D. was the metropolitan see of Scotland until supplanted by St Andrews. The choir of the cathedral is now used as the parish church. ...


Immediately behind the cathedral is Dunkeld House, seat of the Duke of Athole. The grounds are the finest and most extensive in Scotland; they include 50 miles of walks and 30 miles of drives. Near the cathedral are two larch trees, the first, or among the first, introduced into Britain.

Dunkeld through time

Dunkeld is now part of Perth and Kinross district. Click here for graphs and data of how Perth and Kinross has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dunkeld itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dunkeld, in Perth and Kinross and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16696

Date accessed: 18th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dunkeld ".