Place:


Kilspindie  Perthshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Kilspindie like this:

Kilspindie, a village and a parish in Gowrie district, SE Perthshire. The village, standing in the mouth of a small glen, 1 mile SSW of Rait, 21/8 miles NNW of Errol station, and 33/8 NNE of Glencarse station, had anciently a castle, now extinct, and figures in Blind Harry's narrative as the place where Sir William Wallace, with his mother, found refuge in his boyhood.

The parish, containing also the post offices of Rait and Pitrody under Errol, comprehends the ancient parishes of Kilspindie and Rait. ...


It is bounded NE by Caputh (detached) and Kinnaird, SE by Errol, S by Kinfauns and Kinnoull (detached), and W by Scone, St Martins, and another detached section of Kinnoull. Its utmost length and breadth, south-eastward and south-westward, is 3½ miles; and its area is 6258¼ acres, of which 3¾ are water. A strip along the SE border forms part of the Carse of Gowrie, and sinks to 40 feet above sea-level; thence the surface rises north-westward to the Sidlaws, attaining 944 feet on Evelick or Pole Hill and 849 on Beal Hill; and thence again it declines towards Strathmore-to 380 feet at the NW border. The parish thus presents a diversified aspect, ranging from luxuriant corn-field to barren moor; by Rait, Kilspindie, and Pitrody Burns its drainage is mostly carried eastward to the Firth of Tay. Trap and coarse greyish sandstone are the predominant rocks. The trap has been quarried in Pitrody Den; and beautiful pieces of agate are often found among the hills. The soil on the flat south-eastern border is a fertile mixture of clay and humus; on the slopes of the southern hills, and in the hollows and little glens, is of various quality, but generally good; and on the northern hills, is wet and heathy. About seven-thirteenths of the entire area are in tillage, one-thirtieth is under wood, and the rest of the land is either pastoral or waste. Fingask Castle and Annat are the only mansions; and 4 proprietors hold each an annual value of more, 2 of less, than £500. Kilspindie is in the presbytery of Perth and synod of Perth and Stirling; the living is worth £307. The church, at Kilspindie village, is a plain edifice, recently repaired, and containing 350 sittings; and a public school, with accommodation for 130 children, had (1881) an average attendance of 84, and a grant of £87, 19s. Valuation (1860) £6255, (1883) £6746, 13s. 4d. Pop. (1801) 762, (1831) 760, (1861) 665, (1871) 679, (1881) 693.—Ord. Sur., sh. 48, 1868.

Kilspindie through time

Kilspindie is now part of Perth and Kinross district. Click here for graphs and data of how Perth and Kinross has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kilspindie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kilspindie, in Perth and Kinross and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16687

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kilspindie ".