Place:


Kinnaird  Perthshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Kinnaird like this:

Kinnaird (Gael. æann-ard, ` high head '), a village and a parish in Gowrie district, SE Perthshire. The village, standing 2½ miles W of its post office, Inchture, and 3½ NW of Inchture station, occupies such a situation 1mong the braes overlooking the Carse of Gowrie as may have given rise to its name.

The parish, containing also the village of Pitmiddle, is bounded N by Abernyte, E by Abernyte and Inchture, S by Errol, SW and W by Kilspindie, and NW by Caputh (detached) and Collace. ...


Its utmost length, from E to W, is 3¼ miles; its utmost breadth, from N to S, is 2½ miles; and its area is 3501 acres, of which 2¾ are water. The south-eastern border is part of the Carse of Gowrie, sinking to less than 50 feet above sea-level; and the central and northern districts, consisting chiefly of what are called the Carse Braes, rise gradually north-westward to the watershed of the Sidlaw Hills, and attain 547 feet near Woodwell, 917 near Woodburnhead, 994 near Franklyden, and 969 near Blacklaw. Sandstone is the predominant rock. The soil, on the SE border, is of the rich character common to the Carse; in the central districts, is a mixture of black earth and so-called ` mortar,' inferior to the Carse soil, yet of no little fertility; in the northern district is light and shallow, with such mixed covering of grass, bent, and heath, as renders it fit only for sheep pasturage. Wood covers a fair proportion; and the arable area is a little larger than the pastoral. Kinnaird Castle, a little NW of the village, commands extensive views of the Carse and the Fife hills. Built by the Crown in the 12th century to serve as a local fortalice, it was tenanted for some days in 1617 by James VI., and in 1674 was acquired by the Threiplands of Fingask. A strong square tower of smoothed freestone, dating probably from the 15th ccntury, it was externally renovated in 1855, and is figured in Dr R. Chambers' Threiplands 0f Fingask (Edinb. 1880). The parish is divided between two proprietors. It is in the presbytery of Dundee and synod of Angus and Mearns; the living is worth £265. The church, erected in 1815, contains 300 sittings; and a public school, with accommodation for 122 children, had (1881) an average attendance of 70, and a grant of £70, 1s. Valuation (1883) £3174, 18s. 11d. Pop. (1801) 455, (1831) 461, (186lv) 318, (1871) 299, (1881) 260.—Ord. Sur., sh. 48, 1868.

Kinnaird through time

Kinnaird is now part of Perth and Kinross district. Click here for graphs and data of how Perth and Kinross has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kinnaird itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kinnaird, in Perth and Kinross and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16579

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kinnaird ".