Place:


Ashbury  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashbury like this:

ASHBURY, anciently Essebury, a parish in Okehampton district, Devon; on an affluent of the river Torridge, 5 miles SSW of Hatherleigh, and 14 WSW of Morchard Road r. station. Post Town, North Lew under Exbourne, North Devon. Acres, 1,700. Real property, £748. Pop., 80. Houses, 9. The manor, with most of the property, belongs to the owner of Ashbury House, a large old residence in a well-wooded park. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £96.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a small old edifice, with nave, chancel, and tower.

Ashbury through time

Ashbury is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ashbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashbury in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1652

Date accessed: 19th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ashbury ".