Place:


Culsalmond  Aberdeenshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Culsalmond like this:

Culsalmond, a hamlet and a parish in Garioch district, Aberdeenshire. The hamlet-a farm-house, the church, and the manse-stands at 600 feet above sea-level, near the left bank of the Ury, 4½ miles NNE of its post-town and station, Insch, this being 27½ miles NW of Aberdeen. Containing also Colpy post-office hamlet, and bounded N by Forgue, NE by Auchterless, E by Rayne, S by Oyne, SW and W by Insch, the parish has an utmost length from N to S of 5 miles, a varying width from E to W of 13/8 and 35/8 miles, and an area of 6995 acres, of which 1 is water. ...


The drainage is carried south-south-eastward by the upper Ury; and the surface, sinking in the S to 310 feet above sea-level, thence rises northward to 431 feet at Little Ledikin, 521 near Mellenside, 607 at Fallow Hill, 1078 at the wooded Hill of Skares, and 1249 at the Hill of Tillymorgan. A fine blue slate was quarried prior to 1860; and a vein of ironstone, extending across the parish from Rayne to Insch, was proved, by specimens sent to Carron works, to contain a large proportion of good iron. A subterranean moss, in some parts more than 8 feet deep, occurs on Pulquhite farm; and a strong mineral spring, said to be beneficial in scrofulous complaints, is at Saughen-loan. The soil is mainly a yellowish clay loam, lighter and mixed with fragments of slate on the uplands, and at Tillymorgan giving place to moss and inferior clay. Plantations cover a considerable area. Cairns were at one time numerous; two stone circles have left some traces on Colpy farm; two sculptured standing - stones (figured in Dr John Stuart's great work, 1866) are on the lands of Newton; and stone coffins, flint implements, etc., have been from time to time discovered. Newton and Williamston are the principal mansions; and 5 proprietors hold each an annual value of more, 3 of less, than £100. Culsalmond is in the presbytery of Garioch and synod of Aberdeen; the living is worth £220. The parish church, an old building, was the scene of one of those contests that led to the Disruption; and the neighbouring Free church, Early English in style, with a tower, was erected in 1866 at a cost of £2000, its predecessor from 1843 having been a mere wooden shed, in the 'deep hollow of Caden.' There are also an Independent church and Tillymorgan Episcopal chapel (1851); whilst Culsalmond public school (rebuilt 1876) and Tillymorgan Episcopal school, with respective accommodation for 150 and 64 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 100 and 43, and grants of £61,8s. and £33,13s. 6d. Valuation (1881) £6415, 16s. 5d. Pop. (1801) 730, (1831) 1138, (1861) 1165, (1871) 896, (1881) 828.—Ord. Sur., sh. 86, 1876.

Culsalmond through time

Culsalmond is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Culsalmond itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Culsalmond in Aberdeenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16488

Date accessed: 12th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Culsalmond ".