Place:


St Madoes  Perthshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described St Madoes like this:

St Madoes, a small parish at the W end of the Carse of Gowrie, Perthshire, adjoining, at its north-western boundary, Glencarse station on the Caledonian railway, 15½ miles WSW of Dundee and 6 E by S of the post-town, Perth. It is bounded NW by Kinfauns, NE by Errol, S by the Firth of Tay, and W by the Inchyra section of Kinnoull. ...


Its utmost length, from N to S, is 17/8 mile; its utmost breadth, from E to W, is 15/8 mile; and its area is 1417½ acres, of which 153½ are foreshore and 104½ water. The Firth of Tay, which curves along the southern border for 15/8 mile, broadens eastward from ¼ to 1 mile, but at its widest is divided by Mugdrum island into the North and the South Deep. The shore is fringed by three old sea-margins, 3, 9, and 14 feet above the level of the Tay; and, beyond, the surface rises gently to a maximum altitude of 71 feet near Dumgreen. Old Red Sandstone is the predominant rock, and has been quarried at Cottown. The soil, a deep strong clay near the Tay, on the higher grounds is a rich brown loam. Excepting about 30 acres of plantation, 76 of permanent pasture, and 68 in the policy of Pitfour Castle, the entire area is constantly in tillage. A large brickwork employs about 60 people. Near the eastern boundary is the ` Hawk's Stane ' referred to under Luncarty; in the Pitfour policy are remains of a stone circle, with cup-markings; and in the churchyard is an elaborately sculptured stone, 7 feet long, and 3 to 2½ feet broad. Alexander Lindsay, Bishop of Dunkeld, was minister from 1591 till his death in 1639. Pitfour Castle, noticed separately, is the only mansion; and Sir J. T. Stewart-Richardson, Bart., is almost the sole proprietor. St Madoes is in the presbytery of Perth and the synod of Perth and Stirling; the living is worth £247, with a manse and a glebe of £80 value per annum. The parish church, near Glencarse station, was built in 1798, and contains 410 sittings. The public school, with accommodation for 114 children, had (1884) an average attendance of 85, and a grant of £74, 1s. 10d. Valuation (1860) £3980, 8s. 10d., (1885) £5297, 13s. 10d. Pop. (1801) 295, (1831) 327, (1861) 280, (1871) 290, (1881) 316.—Ord. Sur., sh. 48, 1868.

St Madoes through time

St Madoes is now part of Perth and Kinross district. Click here for graphs and data of how Perth and Kinross has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Madoes itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Madoes, in Perth and Kinross and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16392

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Madoes ".