Place:


St Hilary  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Hilary like this:

HILARY (ST.), a parish in Penzance district, Cornwall; near Mount's bay, 3 miles E by S of Marazion Road r. station, and 5 E by N of Penzance. It adjoins the extra-parochial tract of St. Michael's Mount, and includes the town of Marazion, which has a post office, designated Marazion, Cornwall. ...


Acres, 3, 657; of which 190 are water. Real property, £9, 607; of which £813 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 3, 021; in 1861, 3, 459. Houses, 687. Granite and slate are the chief rocks; and copper and tin ores are worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £311.* Patrons, the Duke of Leeds and others. The church stands on high ground forms a conspicuous landmark; was recently rebuilt; and contains monuments of the Godolphins and others. The p. curacy of Marazion is a separate benefice. There are several dissenting chapels. Palmer, the Nonconformist, and Hitchins, the astronomer, were vicars. See Marazion.

St Hilary through time

St Hilary is now part of Penwith district. Click here for graphs and data of how Penwith has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Hilary itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Hilary, in Penwith and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1639

Date accessed: 22nd September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Hilary ".