Place:


Lansallos  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lansallos like this:

LANSALLOS, a parish in Liskeard district, Cornwall; on the coast, at Lanlivet bay; 3¼ miles E of Fowey, and 6¾ E by S of Par r. station. It contains the village of Polperro, which has a post-office under Liskeard; and contains also the hamlets of Crumplehorn and Ternewan. Acres, 2,985. ...


Real property, £3,103. Pop., 659. Houses, 151. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the Earl of Mortaigne; passed to the Boliths, the Kelliows, the Speccots, the Longs, and others; and belongs now to F. Howell, Esq. Small quantities of copper ore are found. The fossils formerly called Cornish ichthyolites, but now called Polperro sponges, occur along the coast. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £500.* Patron, F. Howell, Esq. The church is good; stands on a hill which was a station in the Trigonometrical survey; and is a landmark to mariners. Remains of an ancient chapel are above Polperro. There is a chapel of ease, called St. John s.

Lansallos through time

Lansallos is now part of Caradon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Caradon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lansallos itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lansallos, in Caradon and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1629

Date accessed: 21st February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lansallos ".