Place:


Lanreath  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lanreath like this:

LANREATH, a parish in Liskeard district, Cornwall; on an affluent of the river Fowey, 5½ miles ESE of Lostwithiel r. station, and 7½ SW of Liskeard. It has a post-office under Liskeard; is a seat of petty sessions, held at Trecan-Gate; and has cattle fairs on the third week after Shrove-Tuesday, 2 May, and 18 November. ...


Acres, 4,878. Real property, £3,693. Pop., 649. Houses, 123. The property is subdivided. The manor of Court Barton formerly belonged to the Grylls and others, but is now divided. A Roman causeway and an ancient camp are on Bury Down; and there are several barrows. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £502. * Patron, John Buller, Esq. The church contains a carved screen and a Norman font, and is very good. There are chapels for Calvinists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.

Lanreath through time

Lanreath is now part of Caradon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Caradon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lanreath itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lanreath, in Caradon and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1628

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lanreath ".