Place:


Colan  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Colan like this:

COLAN, a parish in St. Columb district, Cornwall; 3½ miles SW of St. Columb-Major, and 8½ NNW of Grampound-Road r. station. Post-town, St. Columb, Cornwall. Acres, 1, 545. Real property, £2, 622. Pop., 255. Houses, 51. The property is divided among a few. Cosworth was the seat of the Blewitts. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £163.* Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church was founded, in 1250, by Bishop Branscombe; and is good. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians.

Colan through time

Colan is now part of Restormel district. Click here for graphs and data of how Restormel has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Colan itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Colan, in Restormel and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1611

Date accessed: 18th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Colan ".