Place:


Heydon  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heydon like this:

HAYDON, or HEYDON, a parish in the district of Royston and county of Essex; adjacent to Herts and to Cambridgeshire, 5½ miles W by S of Chesterford r. station, and 5½ E by S of Royston. Post-town, Elmdon, under Saffron-Walden. Acres, 2,470. Real property, £2,089. Pop., 270. ...


Houses, 58. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Braybrooke. The surface is hilly. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Little Chishall, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £681.* Patron, Lord Braybrooke. The church consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and N chapel, with a tower. There is a national school.

Heydon through time

Heydon is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Heydon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heydon, in South Cambridgeshire and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1587

Date accessed: 23rd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Heydon ".