Place:


Sebergham  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sebergham like this:

SEBERGHAM, a parish, with a village and two townships, in Wigton district, Cumberland; on the river Caldew, 2 miles N N E of Hesket-Newmarket, and 5¾ S by E of Curthwaite r. station. It has a post-office under Carlisle. Acres, 5, 890. Real property, £5, 874; of which £60 are in mines. ...


Pop. in 1851, 855; in 1861, 745. Houses, 152. The property is much subdivided. The manor was given by King John to the hermit Was-tell; and given by the hermit to Carlisle priory. Coal and limestone are worked; and there is a mineral spring. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £300.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is an old building, with a modern tower; and was repaired in 1785. There are a Wesleyan chapel and two parochial schools. Relph, the poet, was a native.

Sebergham through time

Sebergham is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sebergham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sebergham, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1578

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sebergham ".