Place:


Cheveley  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cheveley like this:

CHEVELEY, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred in Newmarket district, Cambridge. The parish lies on the verge of the county, near the Newmarket railway, 3¼ miles SE of Newmarket; and has a post office under Newmarket. Acres, 2, 527. Real property, £1, 517. Pop., 607. Houses, 136. ...


The property is divided among a few. Cheveley Park belongs to the Duke of Rutland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £704. Patron, the Rev. J. T. Bennet. The church is ancient but pretty good. A free grammar school has £80; alms-houses, £19; and other charities, £9. -The sub-district contains nine parishes. Acres, 2, 645. Pop., 6, 489. Houses, 331. -The hundred contains four parishes. Acres, 1, 905. Pop., 4, 570. Houses, 917.

Cheveley through time

Cheveley is now part of East Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cheveley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cheveley in East Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1570

Date accessed: 22nd November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cheveley ".