Place:


Crosby upon Eden  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Crosby upon Eden like this:

CROSBY-UPON-EDEN, a parish in Carlisle district, Cumberland; on the river Eden and the Roman wall, 3 miles N by E of Scotby r. station, and 3¾ NE of Carlisle. It contains the townships of High Crosby, Low Crosby, Brunstock, and Wolby; and has a post office, of the name of Crosby, under Carlisle. Acres, 3, 590. Real property, £4, 292. Pop., 426. Houses, 75. The property is much subdivided. Crosby House is a chief residence. There are freestone quarries. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £90.* Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is good.

Crosby upon Eden through time

Crosby upon Eden is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Crosby upon Eden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Crosby upon Eden, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1552

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Crosby upon Eden ".