Place:


Great Clifton  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Clifton like this:

CLIFTON (Great), a township-chapelry in Workington parish, Cumberland; on the river Derwent, and the Workington and Cockermouth railway, 2½ miles E of Workington. Post town, Workington. Real property, £6, 156; of which £4, 550 are in mines. Pop., 609. Houses, 121. The property is divided among a few. There are remains of a market cross. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £100. Patron, the Rector of Workington. The church is very good. Jeremiah Seed, the divine, was a native.

Great Clifton through time

Great Clifton is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Clifton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Clifton, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1549

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Clifton ".