Place:


Gayhurst  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gayhurst like this:

GAYHURST, or Gothurst, a parish in Newport-Pagnell district, Bucks; on the river Ouse, 2¾ miles NW of Newport-Pagnell r. station, and 4½ NE of Wolverton. Post town, Newport-Pagnel. Acres, 8 40. Real property, £1, 885. Pop., 129. Houses, 20. The property is divided among a few. ...


Gayhurst House is a Tudor mansion, of the time of Elizabeth, but has been much altered; was the residence of Sir Everard Digby, and the place of some of his meetings with the gunpowder plotters; has association with the poet Cowper, who expressed high admiration of its situation and gardens; and is now a seat of Lord Carrington. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Stoke-Goldington, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £580.* Patron, Lord Carrington. The church is good.

Gayhurst through time

Gayhurst is now part of Milton Keynes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Milton Keynes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gayhurst itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gayhurst, in Milton Keynes and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1490

Date accessed: 26th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gayhurst ".