Place:


Matherne  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Matherne like this:

MATHERNE, a parish in Chepstow district, Monmouth; on the South Wales railway, on the Poolmerick brook or Matherne pill, and adjacent to the river Wye at the boundary with Gloucestershire, 2 miles SSW of Chepstow r. station. Post town, Chepstow. Acres, 3,281; of which 430 are water. Real property, £3,592. ...


Pop., 450. Houses, 82. The name Matherne is supposed to be a corruption of Merthyr-Tewdric, and to have been derived from Theodoric, a king of Glamorgan in the 6th century, reputed to have become a hermit and a martyr. The property is divided among a few. Monks Court was a residence of the Bishops of Llandaff till 1706; has a quadrangular form, with architectural features of the 15th century; and is now a farm-house. Poolmerick brook, or Matherne pill, rises near Newchurch; and runs about 7 miles south-south-eastward to the Severn, about a mile below Matherne church. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £352.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff. The church is ancient but good; has some early English arcades, and a tower; and contains a tablet to the martyr Theodoric. There are an endowed school with £13 a year, and charities £13.

Matherne through time

Matherne is now part of Monmouthshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Monmouthshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Matherne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Matherne in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14570

Date accessed: 21st January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Matherne ".