Place:


Michaelstone super Avon  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Michaelstone super Avon like this:

MICHAELSTONE-SUPER-AVON, a village and a parish in Neath district, Glamorgan. The village stands on the river Avon, 1½ mile NE of Port Talbot r. station, and 4½ SE by S of Neath; and is a considerable but much scattered place. The parish consists of the hamlets of Lower Michaelstone and Upper Michaelstone; part of the former of which is within the borough of Aberavon. ...


Post town, Taibach. Acres of Lower M., 915. Reaproperty, £7,344; of which £27 7 are in mines, and £50 in gas-works. Pop., 5,323. Houses, 951. Pop. of the part within Aberavon borough, 1,647. Acres of Upper M., 4,120. Real property, £776. Pop., 861. Houses, 172. The property is not much divided. The surface is hilly; and the rocks include coal, iron ore, and fireclay. Some of the inhabitants are employed in tin works, collieries, and other works. The living is a vicarage, united with a chapelry of All Saints, in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £120.* Patron, the English Copper Company. The church is good.

Michaelstone super Avon through time

Michaelstone super Avon is now part of Neath Port Talbot district. Click here for graphs and data of how Neath Port Talbot has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Michaelstone super Avon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Michaelstone super Avon, in Neath Port Talbot and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14560

Date accessed: 20th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Michaelstone super Avon ".