Place:


Whitgift  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitgift like this:

WHITGIFT, a township and a parish in Goole district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Ouse, 4½ miles E of Goole r. station; and has a fair on 22 and 23 July. Acres, 1,309. Real property, £3,469. Pop., 315. Houses, 79. The parish contains also Ousefleet, Reedness, and Swinefleet townships,-the last of which has a post-office under Howden. ...


Acres, 8,328. Pop., 2,298. Houses, 556. The property is much sub-divided. A fort was erected here by the royalists, in 1643, during the siege of Hull. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £287.* Patron, G. L. Yarburgh, Esq. The church is old but good. The p. curacy of Swinefleet is a separate benefice. There are five Methodist chapels, an endowed school, a national school, and charities £123.

Whitgift through time

Whitgift is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitgift itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitgift, in East Riding of Yorkshire and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14459

Date accessed: 24th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whitgift ".