Place:


Congleton  Cheshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Congleton like this:

Congleton, mun. bor. and market town with ry. sta., Astbury par., E. Cheshire, 26 miles S. of Manchester and 157 miles NW. of London, 2572 ac., pop. 11,116; 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Saturday; is a well-built town, on the banks of the Dane, a tributary of the Weaver. C. is a place of considerable antiquity, with charters dating from Edward III. The principal industry is the mfr. of silk, but there is also salt-making and coal-mining. C. has canal communication with Macclesfield, 8 miles NE.

Congleton through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Congleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Congleton go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Congleton in Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/144

Date accessed: 24th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Congleton ".