Place:


Thorp Arch  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thorp Arch like this:

THORP-ARCH, a parish, with a village, in Tadcaster district, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Wharfe, and on The York and Harrogate railway, 3½ miles NW of Tadcaster. It took its suffix name of Arch from the family of De Arcubus or De Arches, who came to England with The Conqueror; and it has a post-office under Tadcaster, a r. ...


station, and a fine four-arched bridge. Acres, 1,607. Real property, £3,156. Pop., 388. Houses, 54. The manor, with T. Hall, belongs to W. Hatfield, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £356.* Patron, the Rev.Wheler. The church is Norman. There are an endowed school with £38 a year, and charities £6.

Thorp Arch through time

Thorp Arch is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thorp Arch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thorp Arch, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14363

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thorp Arch ".