Place:


Thorner  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thorner like this:

THORNER, a township, with a village, in Tadcaster district, and a parish partly also in Wetherby and Hunslet districts, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 5½ miles S by W of Wetherby r. station, and has a post-office under Leeds. Acres, 2,190. Real property, £4,748. Pop. in 1851, 951; in 1861, 809. ...


Houses, 192.—The parish includes Scarcroft and Shadwell townships, and comprises 4,380 acres. Pop., 1,500. Houses, 336. There are many good residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £189.* Patron, the Earl of Mexborough. The church was restored and enlarged in 1855. The p. curacy of Shadwell is a separate benefice. There are two Wesleyan chapels, a free school, two national schools, and charities £27.

Thorner through time

Thorner is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thorner itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thorner, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14346

Date accessed: 26th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thorner ".