Place:


Slaidburn  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Slaidburn like this:

SLAIDBURN, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Clitheroe and W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Hodder, 9 miles N by W of Clitheroe r. station; and has a post-office under Clitheroe, a mechanics' institute, and fairs on the Wednesday before Easter and 4 Nov. ...


The township comprises 5,617 acres. Real property, £4,042. Pop. in 1851, 708; in 1861, 579. Houses, 130. The manor belongs to Col. Townley.—The parish contains also three other townships. Pop. in 1851, 1,682; in 1861, 1,480. Houses, 292. The living is a rectory, with Dalehead chapelry, in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £550.* Patron, L. Wilkinson, Esq. The parochial church is early English, and the other church was built in 1852. There are an Independent chapel, a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £9 a year, a Quakers' school at which John Bright was educated, and charities £112.—The sub-district includes also another township, and comprises 40,321 acres. Pop., 1,799. Houses, 342.

Slaidburn through time

Slaidburn is now part of Ribble Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ribble Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Slaidburn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Slaidburn, in Ribble Valley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14237

Date accessed: 14th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Slaidburn ".