Place:


Seacroft  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Seacroft like this:

SEACROFT, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Hunslet district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1 mile N of Crossgates r. station, and 4 E N E of Leeds; and has a post-office under Leeds. The township contains also the villages of Crossgates, Foundry, and Killingbeck, and the hamlet of Coldcotes; and is mainly in Whitkirk parish, but partly in that of Leeds. ...


Acres, 1,813. Real property, £5, 923; of which £800 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,093; in 1861, 1, 235. Houses, 268. The property is much subdivided. S. Hall, S. Grange, Killingbeck Hall, Killingbeck Lodge, Manston Hall, and Manston Lodge are chief residences. The chapelry was constituted in 1846, and is all in Whitkirk parish. Pop. in 1861, 1, 306. Houses, 283. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £260.* Patron, the Vicar of Whitkirk. The church was built in 1845. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Seacroft through time

Seacroft is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Seacroft itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Seacroft, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14190

Date accessed: 15th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Seacroft ".