Place:


Rawcliffe  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rawcliffe like this:

RAWCLIFFE, a village and a township-chapelry in Snaith parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Aire, near the Goole railway, 3 miles E by N of Snaith; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office under Selby. The chapelry comprises 4, 410 acres. Real property, £9, 811. ...


Pop., 1, 630. Houses, 384. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Mrs. Creyke. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £126.* Patron, Y. Yarburgh, Esq. The church was built in 1842, and is in the early English style. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school with £30 a year, and charities £17.

Rawcliffe through time

Rawcliffe is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rawcliffe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rawcliffe, in East Riding of Yorkshire and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14118

Date accessed: 20th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rawcliffe ".