Place:


South Witham  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Witham like this:

WITHAM (South), a parish, with a village, in Grantham district, Lincoln; on the river Witham, 5½ miles SW of Corby r. station, and 10¾ S of Grantham. Post town, Colsterworth, under Grantham. Acres, 3,230. Real property, £2,762. Pop., 531. Houses, 119. The manor belongs to the Earl of Dysart. ...


A preceptory of Knights-Templars was founded here in 1164. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £225.* Patron, the Earl of Dysart. The church was originally cruciform, but consists now of only nave and transept, and was recently in bad condition. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and charities £5.

South Witham through time

South Witham is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Witham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Witham, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14090

Date accessed: 23rd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Witham ".