Place:


Washingborough  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Washingborough like this:

WASHINGBOROUGH, a township and a parish in the district and county of Lincoln. The township lies on the river Witham, and on the Lincoln and Boston railway, 3 miles E by S of Lincoln; contains a village of its own name; and has a r. station. Real property, £4,869. Pop., 589. Houses, 139. ...


The parish contains also Heighington township, which has a post-office under Lincoln; and it comprises 5,190 acres. Pop., 1,213. Houses, 287. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £1,554.* Patron, Sir W. A. Ingilby. The church is large and good; and has a fine E memorial window of 1866. There are a chapel of ease, two Methodist chapels, an endowed grammar-school with £135 a year, and charities £424.

Washingborough through time

Washingborough is now part of North Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Washingborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Washingborough, in North Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14051

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Washingborough ".