Place:


Burton  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burton like this:

BURTON, a township and a parish in Wirrall district, Cheshire. The township lies on the estuary of the Dee, 3¾ miles WSW of Sutton r. station, and 8 NW by W of Chester; and had formerly a market. Acres, 2,138; of which 280 are water. Real property, £2,178. Pop., 265. Houses, 50. The parish includes also the township of Puddington; and its Post Town is Neston, under Chester. ...


Acres, 3,497. Real property, £4,235. Pop., 425. Houses, 77. The property is divided between two. Burton Hall is the seat of W. W. Congreve, Esq. Coal is worked in a mine running far beneath the estuary of the Dee. An hospital was founded at Denwall by Bishop Savensby, and given to the church of St. John in Lichfield. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £54. Patron, W. W. Congreve, Esq. The church is tolerable. There are a Roman Catholic chapel and an endowed school, the latter with £35 a year. Bishop T. Wilson was a native.

Burton through time

Burton is now part of Ellesmere Port and Neston district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ellesmere Port and Neston has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burton, in Ellesmere Port and Neston and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1400

Date accessed: 23rd September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burton ".