Place:


Broxton  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Broxton like this:

BROXTON, a township and a hundred in Cheshire. The township is in Malpas parish; and lies 4½ miles N of Malpas town, and about the same distance S of Tattenhall r. station. Acres, 2,128. Real property, £3,250. Pop., 546. Houses, 115. Broxton Hall here was the seat of the Dods, the Tenants, and the Egertons; is now occupied as a farmhouse; and commands fine prospects. ...


The hundred lies around the township; marches with Flint and Denbigh; and is cut into two divisions, East and West. The E. division contains six parishes and parts of eight other parishes. Acres, 32,515. The W. division contains five parishes and parts of five other parishes. Acres, 42,435. Pop. of both, 18,499. Houses, 3,540.

Broxton through time

Broxton is now part of Chester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Broxton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broxton, in Chester and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1397

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Broxton ".