Place:


Thornton Curtis  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thornton Curtis like this:

THORNTON-CURTIS, a parish, with a village, in Glanford-Brigg district, Lincoln; at Thornton-Abbey r. station, 4 miles SSE of New Holland-It has a post-office under Ulceby. Acres, 4,610. Real property, £7,563. Pop., 483. Houses, 98. Burnham manor belongs to the Taylor family. A Cistertian abbey stood on a spot 1½ mile NE of the village; was founded in 1139 by W. ...


le Gros, Earl of Albemarle; gave its abbots a seat in the upper house of parliament; was converted by Henry VIII. into a college, and given by Edward VI. to the Bishops of Lincoln; and is now represented by interesting ruins. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £250.* Patron, Winn, Esq. The church is early English.

Thornton Curtis through time

Thornton Curtis is now part of North Lincolnshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lincolnshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thornton Curtis itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thornton Curtis in North Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13957

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thornton Curtis ".